Welcome to Tutorial Tuesday!
(Now a weekly blog hop! Info at the close.)
(Now a weekly blog hop! Info at the close.)
I know how to do LOTS of stuff. I'll show you how. Then, you can amaze your friends and family with your savvy ways, make your life easier, more beautiful, natural and eco-friendly, too!


Grab my new button from the
sidebar & never miss a week!
Today's tutorial is: Conditioning Coconut Hair & Body Wash!
I've seen a couple of tutorials on Pinterest about how to make shampoo, conditioner & detangler and most have the same general base, with two problems, for me, personally.
- No lather. I love DIY and natural stuff as much as the next girl, but I can't seem to lost the crave for bubbles in my hair when I'm showering!
- It made my hair and skin too dry. You know that freshly cleaned tupperware feeling, where your skin might actually make that "Rrrrrrt!" sound after washing it with plain bar soap? Yeah, that one. And I have dry, sensitive skin, to boot.
Here's what you need:
- A castile soap of your choice. (I like to use Dr. Bronner's)
- Coconut milk (from a can, fresh or make your own)
- 1 tbsp. of Coconut Oil
- A bottle to store it in
1/3 cup of Castile Soap (I blend the almond and lavender scents- you can find it in fragrance-free and add 10-20 drops of your favorite scented oil- even Chanel!- for a fragrance all your own. For baby, I like to add the Burt's Bee's Baby Blend- aside from the alliteration! ;)
with:
1/4 cup
Coconut Milk
(as you can see, you don't need to be exact ;)
and
1 tbsp. of
Coconut Oil
(you can also use almond, apricot or olive oil for moisture in addition to the scented oil used for fragrance; feel free to experiment with different levels to suit your skin & hair needs!)
until frothy & stable
Even Daddy likes it!
Look, lovely lather!
** You can also combine this recipe at a 10:1 ratio with water to make a great detangling spray!
** Remember, coconut milk will need refrigeration after use, which is why I make small batches. :)
** Remember, coconut milk will need refrigeration after use, which is why I make small batches. :)
Let me know if you try it & how yours turns out!
Which ways did you personalize your recipe?
*I'm always open to suggestions & willing to try stuff out, too!
Is there anything you'd like to learn?
If you like this post, you can subscribe by RSS or e-mail and have a fairy
(or 'a series of tubes' if you're Ted Stevens) personally deliver each post to your inbox.
You can also like me on Facebook to join the Progressive Parent community
for activism, lactivism, laughtivism and more!
If you really like this post and are feeling philanthropic, you can make a secure donation
through Paypal using the button in the column on the right. ♥









For the detangler spray you mention, is it 10 parts of the coconut mix or the water?
ReplyDeleteTen parts water to one part of the coconut soap. You can also add an additional tsp of olive, coconut or almond oil, which help repair split ends- but don't spray too much near the roots; there's enough natural oil there! :)
DeleteHow long will this last? Should I worry about the coconut milk going bad?
ReplyDeleteHi there. I tried it and really did not like it. my hair felt dry and brittle at the bottom and oily at the top. didnt work for me but hope this post can help others! :)
ReplyDelete